Friday, June 11, 2010

New Things, Old Things, A Little Bit of Both

I just realized that the title of this post sounds like one of those lame chic lit books that you pick up in the library because the cover is brightly colored and the title is in a really cool font, then quickly put back down once you've had the chance to read the back cover. If we were in the animal kingdom, the best analogy I can summon is those brightly colored poisonous insects that predators are drawn to (like this one)--and then, once close, it secretes its poison into the curious animal. Sucker!!
Anyways, things that I've been pondering lately:
*Veganism: what!? Claire thinking about becoming a vegan?? Wait--don't be so quick to jump on the judgment wagon. I'm merely weighing the pros and cons of veganism at this point. I'm already halfway there actually. Having given up dairy products (except eggs, still eating those on occasion), all I would have to give up is poultry (which I love), other meat products (which are okay...), and fish (which is good for you). Hence my pondering. I can't say for sure that I want to strand myself in that food limbo of limited options and carb-gorging. I've just been reading what vegans have written on blogs and such about how much better they feel and how much more energy they have. Maybe this is something I will do when I feel my vitality flagging. That way I can actually notice a difference.
*Politics: This past Saturday through Tuesday, I went down to Virginia Beach with my Dad to help his West Point classmate, Bert Mizusawa run in a primary for Congress. We lost but it was really strange being back in the saddle, so to speak. That is, listening to the pundits debate or rave or whatever all the time on talk radio (my Dad's favorite listening choice, not mine). Talking to people at the polls, during the door to door campaigning, over the phone, etc. Being informed on the issues again and having an invested interest in the outcome of an election really takes me back to high school when I was steeped in politics. As President of the Young Republicans and daughter in a very politically active family, I all but had no choice--like hot water with a tea bag in it. I realized why I don't really like being involved in politics anymore...people are incredibly nasty and rude when that topic is broached. I naturally prefer to avoid conflict and so the idea of people employing whatever tactics to take down an opponent is one I would rather shy away from.
*Traveling: I leave for Fredericksburg today and Lake Anna tomorrow. Next week, I'm going to Maryland for a retreat with my church group. The week after that, Virginia Beach (again) for a vacation with the sisters. The week after that, a mission trip to Pennsylvania with Spotswood. Then, a few weeks pass and I'm off to Wyoming for Katie App's wedding. For all the joblessness that I've found myself in this summer, I'm actually quite busy.

2 comments:

Ashley Peterson said...

Dear Claire. I do not believe that eggs can be considered a dairy product. The end. Also, good to see you here blogging :)

Katie Jones said...

SO HAPPY this post exists. It's been far too long. I love the new layout, too! I gotta say I'm glad you're too nice for politics and veganism sounds horrendous but I suppose you kind of are already there... but that means no more Chick-fil-A, Claire. Just had to make sure you considered that. As for traveling, I want to say thanks again for coming to see me when I couldn't walk. Perhaps we can see each other again soon now that I *can* walk? :)