Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Importance of Being...Studious?

Where to begin? I really don't like to complain, mainly because I can't stand hearing others complain but (and I know this doesn't justify complaining here but--) why does it have to be so darn beautiful the weekend before final exams?!?

Even as I sit here desperately trying to work, hence the blogging, I can't help but look out the window that my desk faces at the idyllic scene. I've found myself using that word quite frequently of late: "oh look at that idyllic spot over there," I said yesterday to my friend Liz. Apparently, I did not notice the little colored landscaping markers that also dotted the scene which she so kindly pointed out to me. I only saw the dappled light streaming through the branches onto the verdant green grass and the blossoms on the trees undulating in the breeze. I try not to notice all the scantily clad young women who trounce around out campus in bikini's. Bikini's, for crying out loud! The only way to show more flesh is to be naked.

So yesterday I did approximately no work. Sometimes I pretended to do work which counts for some individuals. But now, I am at a point where I need to study...for French. French is a language that I actually enjoy learning about and there are some aspects of its grammar that I find fun but I do not enjoy being tested on it. Tests imply that you know every nuance of every grammatical exception which I find hard to cram into my brain. Hence the studying. And the blogging.

I saw The Importance of Being Earnest for the first time the other day and I can't think of many other movies that have made me laugh that hard! I really want to read the play now...no, must focus! Anyways, I brought that up so I could preface the clever quote from that movie and include it in my blog:
"Lady Bracknell: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness."

[and one more for kicks]
Jack: Good heavens, I suppose a man may eat his own muffins in his own garden.
Algy: But you have just said it was perfectly heartless to eat muffins!
Jack: I said it was perfectly heartless of YOU under the circumstances. That is a very different thing.
Algy: That may be, but the muffins are the same!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Claire, That just might have been your best post yet! Everything even down to the title. That Lady Bracknell quote is perhaps my favorite quote ever and I so enjoy that play.

You can do it all girl, one week!