Sunday, February 8, 2009

WHY am I such an idiot? (Please don't disagree with me here)

So I think I might have set a record today; at least for myself. I broke not one but two phones in the course of three hours. Here's what happened (I sound like Monk when I say that...). I was thinking about how I was expecting a call on my cell phone on Monday to found out if I'm hired for my summer job when it hit me. My phone is currently in the spin cycle of the washing machine.

I race downstairs hoping to prove myself wrong but instead I'm confirmed in my suspicions. I reach inside the washer, pull out the phone that is making a loud humming noise and proceed to open it up. Of course it's waterlogged and when I press the ON button, the screen flashes at me as if lightening is caught inside.

"MOM..." I wail in despair " I think I broke my phone," showing her the phone that is now buzzing even louder. "Take the battery out and let it dry. I've dropped many a phone in the toilet and all it takes is waiting for it to dry out." I take the battery out of the phone and the humming ceases at least then flinging the phone onto the desk, I sigh in defeat.
"Annie has that phone that Jessica just gave her. It has a keypad and everything." 'Hm.' I think 'one of Jessica's cast-offs...this has potential.' Jessica is the type of girl whose phone is replaced by her parents about every three to six months. She decks it out with ringtones, backgrounds, you name it, she has it.

Mom tells me that it's in Annie's room somewhere. I head upstairs to her room to look for it. After plundering her drawers in the search, Mom finds it on the table in the upstairs hallway. I seize it my hands. It's even better than I imagined it. This phone has dozens of ring tones (a few that I actually like but the fact that it can make noise when people call is what fascinates me; my old
lemon that just took a ride in the washing machine became incapable of ringing about a week after I got it.)

I start fiddling with the settings and the keypad that pulls out and the backgrounds. The phone also came with two protective "skins"; one red and one black. Since the phone has a few minor scratches on it, I try out the red skin first. That's when I decide that black would probably look better. However, I can't get the first skin off at all. I practically rip off my fingernails in the process of trying to get the darn thing off and the bottom half eventually does come off. The top half is more difficult. Straining with my nails and pushing against the phone's screen is too much for it. The screen cracks from the inside...'Oh no, I'm screwed.'

Yes, I will spare my readers from the drama that inevitably follows an event such as this. Annie yelling at me, me internally yelling at myself...so on and so forth...

I did however purchase a new phone for myself because Annie at least has a phone at present and I do not. Some things take precedence. I ordered it off ebay and just hope and pray that it works. Here's a picture:

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Well your new phone is cute!

PS I edited that one entry so you can see what an assignment looks like for a design class.

I hope you are feeling better after your root canal!